Tyler Jeffrey Hamilton has arrived!
After being 5 days overdue we said enough is enough! Dr. Harebottle moved my induction date to Wednesday, April 13th and I was never so happy because after 5 long days of waiting I couldn't stand the lower abdomonial pain anymore! I know Tyler would have stayed in there as long as he could... he is stubborn just like his daddy and I see it more and more everyday! So we decided it was time to make him come out!
We arrived on schedule at 7:30am for my induction. My doctor did an internal and by this time I was already 1 cm dialated. (that was my first internal and I was expecting excruciating pain.. but it didn't hurt at all! ) I was gelled by 8am and by 10am was having small irregular contractions. My OBGYN came to the hospital at 1pm and decided that at that time he would break my water. As soon as my doctor broke my water they called the anesthesiologist (sp?) to come for my epidural. At this time the doctor administered pitocin and 10 minutes later (1:10pm) my anesthesiologist arrived and gave me my epidural. BING BANG BOOM.. it was done! By 1:30 I was having NO pains, NO contractions and was resting in bed relaxing while my contractons were comming hard and fast. After a half hour went by the nurses started to get a bit concerned because my uterus wasn't relaxing and my contractions were comming one on top of another. They took me off the pitocin by 2:00pm. From that point on untill about 10:00pm I labored without the pitocin. I guess my body just needed that little boost since I was already 5 days overdue.
Honestly I can say my labouring was quite uneventful. I was given a walking epidural so early that I honestly didn't feel any hard contractions. It was really weird because I could get up to the washroom and move my legs and I could feel the nurses touching my belly, but didn't feel any pain.
By 10pm my contractions started slowing down and at that time when the nurse checked me I was 9cm dialated and fully effaced. They then turned the pitocin back on and ten minutes later I started feeling the down below pushing pressure. By 11:00pm I started pushing and at 12:40 on April 14th, after about 6 good screams, lots of pushes, a BIG episiotomy and a tear too... Tyler was born!
Tyler Jeffrey Hamilton weighed 9lbs and 6oz. He was 21 & 3/4" long and is a spitting image of his daddy. He has RED HAIR!! Where it came from we have no idea, but he is awfully cute!
I really had my heart set on breastfeeding and had my mind set on a lot of different things before Tyler was born as to how I would raise him... After having two days with the lactation consultants and help with the nurses and doctors we decided that breastfeeding wasn't for me. Not to mention that I was slipping into a severe case of baby blues because I felt like a failure. I was beating myself up and It was comming to the fact that I wasn't even enjoying my baby, so I put my foot down and said "enough is enough". We started him on the bottle and things have been 100% since.
I also had my mind set on not giving my baby a soother. Well here he is 12 days old and I can honestly say I would have probably been in the nut house by now if it wasn't for that soother. I had my mind made up in so many ways on how I wanted to raise my baby.. and I could keep going on about certain things that I said I would never do, and we have either tried them or are doing it. I guess I've really learned so far that every baby is his/her own person.. and I will never try to plan how things will go before hand ever again because in the end it hurt me more than benefited me.
Tyler and I are doing great!! He is 12 days old today and we have been staying at Moms house since he has been born. I never really knew how hard it was to have a baby untill now, thank goodness for Mom or once again I would be in the nut house.
Tyler is big and beautiful and healthy as can be, other than the fact he has bad gas and a pussy eye today. I am going to post some pictures when I get home or perhaps tonight if mom gives me an hour or two to run home and pick up some things!
Melanie

2 Comments:
Hey mel, jeff and little Tyler! Congratulations guys! i am so happy for you!!!
luv
steph
xoxox
Hey Mel! It's Lindsay from TP. Hope you don't mind that I'm posting here. Tyler is adorable! And I love his red hair!! Congrats on your baby! I read your birth story and it's sounds like you are doing an awesome job as a first time mom. It's hard at first but every week gets easier! Take care!
Lindsay
Post a Comment
<< Home